(a) Once any act of indiscipline has been proven against a student individually or in a group, he will automatically be on disciplinary probation. It is also irrespective of fact whether action was taken against the student or not.
(b) Indiscipline will include, inter-alia, indiscipline in academic or other matters of the University, hostel, transport, tours and acts outside the University premises which are likely to bring bad name to the University and/or are not legally correct even though the student was not under the direct control of the University at that moment.
- “Clause“ Means duly numbered Clause of the Ordinances.
- “He” includes She and “His/Him” includes Her.
- “Academic Counselor/Mentor” means a faculty member assigned the task of providing the course- specific and programme-specific information to a group of students and to advise them on registration related matters.
- “Class” means specific group of students meeting for specific instructional purposes; and it may mean the whole series of scheduled meetings or just one session; and a Class may be a lecture, a tutorial or a practical.
- “Continuing Student” means a student, who has registered for at least one term prior to the current term. (vi) “Course” means a prescribed s et of instructions in a subject offered as a unit of studies within an academic programme.
- “Course Detail” means detailed syllabus of a course.
- “Disciplinary Probation” refers to the status assigned to a student on committing some act of indiscipline, academic or otherwise and once assigned the student remains on disciplinary probation for the rest of the duration of his programme. 1
- “Freshman” means a student who is registering for the first time at the University in any programme.
- “ESE” means End-Semester Examination
- “Expulsion” by the University means the permanent removal from the University rolls with prohibition on future enrolment.
- “Teacher” means the teacher who is assigned the responsibility of teaching Lecture and/ or Practical classes.
- “LTP” means hours of Lecture, Tutorial and Practical of a course per week in a regular term. (xiv) “MSE” means Mid- Semester Examination. (xv) “Practical” means classes that require students (generally in smaller groups compared to lecture) to perform certain functions in controlled situations that help them to test and understand what is being taught in the lecture or otherwise.
- “Prerequisites” means conditions that must be met before a student can register for a course. Prerequisites can include a specific skill level (e.g., a minimum of C grade in a specified course), or Pass in a specific course.
- “Program” means the area of study leading to the conferment or award of a degree, diploma, certificate or any other academic distinction or title of the University. (xix) “Program Detail” means scheme and curriculum of a Programme.
- “Registration Number” means a unique number allotted to a student on his admission in a particular programme. Registration number of a student remains unchanged through out the duration of his programme at the University.
- “Right of access to all the premises or facilities of the University” means and include registration for courses/ examinations, appearing in examination(s), receiving tutorials, attending classes or otherwise receiving academic instruction under the aegis oftheUniversities or any of its School/ Department/ Institute/ Centre, making use of any University facilities, including the library (whether sitting t h e r e f o r a c a d e m i c p u r p o s e s o r b y borrowing books/ periodicals), computer/ internet facilities, the sports facilities, the halls and café, etc, enter and remain on University premises, attend any function in the University or participate in any student activity, be members of student organizations, occupy University accommodation, e.g., student hostels, use of transportation/ parking facility or such other facilities as provided by the University. 2
- “Rustication” by the University means the withdrawal of the right of access to all premises and facilities of the University for a specified period and/ or till the fulfillment of certain conditions.
- “Scheme and Curriculum” means and includes description of nature, duration, pedagogy, syllabus, eligibility and such related details for a programme.
- “Suspension” by the University means withdrawal of the right of access to all or some of the premises or facilities of the University where action is taken as an interim measure pending further investigation.
- “Tutorial” means a class that offers students (generally in smaller groups compared to lectures) the opportunity to talk about material being taught, ask questions, and discuss material with their classmates and a designated tutor.
- “Tutor” means the teacher who is assigned the responsibility of tutoring the students in tutorial classes. Definitions specified in the Act and the Statutes shall also apply unless the context requires otherwise.