About the Department
The Department of Journalism & Mass Communication aims to acquaint students with the knowledge, attitudes, and skills required for contemporary world and seeks to develop in each member of the community the ability and passion to work wisely, creatively and effectively for the betterment of nation and society. Journalism is concerned with the collection and dissemination of information. It is a powerful medium to bring about social change and trigger national development.
Students are regularly exposed to all set of media skills through workshops, guest lecturers & seminars by leading media professionals. The course curriculum is industry oriented & contemporary. The department also has a rich Library stacked with updated books on the relevant subjects.
Mass Communication has emerged as a major area of interest and has immensely contributed to the development & empowerment of society. As an academic discipline, it has rapidly acquired importance and become a major attraction for students. The information technology revolution has significantly contributed to the expansion of mass media. It has also posed major challenges for students, teachers and practitioners of mass media.
Department of Journalism & Mass Communication offer a three year full time under graduate degree (BAJMC) and three year full time PhD programs. The courses are well-designed and aim to enable students to gain subject knowledge, guide them to generate their own knowledge and to apply that knowledge in the real world media in a meaningful manner. The Department teaches how to gather and present information clearly while also teaching its students to think critically within a legal and ethical framework. The emphasis is on developing students writing, editing and reporting skills for all kinds of media. Practical training forms an integral part of the curriculum and the School has well equipped Audio & Video Studios.
Department of Journalism and mass communication set global standards for media education, research, extension and training, using state-of-the-art technology for building a knowledge driven information society, contributing to human development, empowerment and participatory democracy, anchored in pluralism, universal values and ethics and will have a transformative impact on society through continual innovation in education, research, creativity, and entrepreneurship.
Department of Journalism & Mass Communication takes its inspiration from the University’s mission to equip students with the knowledge, skills and ideas for living and working successfully in the world of rapid social and technological change.
- The mission of Journalism and Mass Communication Department at IEC University is to provide excellence in education on fundamental concepts, values and skills in media studies that focus on problem solving, critical thinking, innovation and communication.
- The department will be recognized as a leading center for Journalism education in the 21st century.
- The mission of Journalism and mass communication Department is to develop students who possess a strong liberal art background, think critically and understand the concepts and skills that will equip them for meaningful communication careers that can advance civic life globally and across culture.
- • Our mission is to provide future journalists with the intellectual training and professional skills necessary together, evaluate, organize and disseminate information in a way that enables citizen to participate in democratic society in meaningful way.
- • To encourage and provide all the students in understanding the role of press in a multicultural society this includes an understanding of the legal and ethical issues which are an integral part of the journalism profession.
- • The studies will include practicing and performing a research in the fields of Broadcasting, Telecasting, Direction, Editing, Advertising, Creative Writing, Production and public relations.
- • The mission of the department of Journalism & Mass Communication is to impart quality education to students for their overall development as a good journalists as well as a good citizen with the best professional skills to meet future challenges of globalization and great Indian values.
- Wi-Fi enabled campus.
- Audio and Video Production Studio
- Well equipped Library
- Innovation in Teaching-Learning.
- Coaching for competitive Examination.
- Content Writing Skills
- Digital Photography & Photo Designing
- Film Making & Video Production,
- Reporting & Editing Skills
- Graphic Deigning Skills
- Sound Mixing, Editing & Modulation Skills
The teaching methodology adopted at the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication is intensive as well as extensive classroom teaching involving active participation of the students. It also includes preparation of project reports, project presentation, submission of assignments, seminars etc. The students are awarded for the best academic and professional performances. The achievements of our students have been outstanding. At the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication we nurture future leaders and elite professionals for the media world and beyond. Our mission statement explains how: Exceptional faculty, staff and students are committed to excellence in educating professionals, advancing legal scholarship, serving the public, society and the nation. We aspire to prepare professionals to serve the public with a high level of accomplishment and a commitment to the highest ideals of the media profession.
New teaching methodologies are changing the educational environments around the world and driving better academic performance among students. We go over some of the main innovative approaches that educators have forged over the last few years. Some of important teaching Methodologies in our teaching learning process are
- Project-Based Learning
- Cooperative Learning
- Problem-Based Learning
- Learning by Doing